Sunday, July 26, 2015

DMD A Quick Breakdown

Pin It I get a lot of questions about what Trenten has and what the prognosis is. So I thought I'd put together a list with a few Duchenne statistics. 
About Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD)
  • Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD) is the most common lethal genetic disease of children worldwide.
  • It is 100% fatal.
  • DMD is a progressive weakening defect of allthe muscles in the body, including the heart, and primarily occurs in boys.
  • There is no cure, no treatment, and no survivors.
  • Approx. 1 in every 2,400 boys worldwide is born with DMD; they die, on average, at about 16 years old.
  • In about 60% of the cases, DMD is inherited from the mother; in about 40% of the cases the disease is the result of spontaneous gene mutation, meaning anyone's son could be born with DMD.
  • DMD is a worldwide tragedy; kids of all colors, all nationalities, all classes, and all ethnic backgrounds die much too young, agonizingly, slowly, and painfully, from DMD.
It's not pretty but that's the reality of DMD. If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. 
Until next time 
~J

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled upon this blog due to a random post on a mutual friends fb page. Though I will never pretend to understand what you must be going through as a mother, I do sympathize. My mother has ALS and the decline is quick and completely heartbreaking beyond any words I can think of. Sending hugs and comforting thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete